I selected answer my own quesiton, and then after filing out subject, question, and answer,
- tried to post
- got an error about missing tag.
- I added a tag and then tried to post again, and the page just refreshes but there are no errors. The URL changed to https://serverfault.com/questions/ask/submit
- I have tried completely refreshing the page, but still cannot post, but get no errors.
- If I remove the answer your own question option(which behaves strangely as the checkbox then disappears so that I can't re-enable it),
- I then see errors indicating the the question does not meet quality standards.
So it seems there is a client side issue with at least this particular error not being displayed if you have also chosen "answer your own post". I'm sure I will get the classic "Well if it hurts when you do that, then don't do that" response, but oh well I tried.