Unpopular tags are a catch-22 for stackoverflowers active in those tags.
The topics have few eyes on them, so there's no real coordination of the tags, their usage, or the community. This results in many overlapping tags and eyes being spread out further rather than consolidated. To grow the community the tags need to be consolidated, but without the tags being consolidated votes are few and far between, and the 2,500 reputation to create tag synonyms is an absurdly high hurdle.
What can be done to support users of unpopular tags where Unsung Heroes are more common than 2,000 reputation users?
For now I suggest:
- Make google-visualizationgoogle-chartsgoogle-charts-apigoogle-geochart synonyms (like I asked in May)
- Browse retag-request now and again, and pick the low-hanging fruit to make some Unsung Hero's day
- For those who have the time and inclination, follow an unpopular or tangential tag or too -- you may learn something cool, and maybe even be able to help someone
I participate rather heavily in the following 4 incredibly unpopular tags. The following are my answers since joining out of the total answers for that tag this year (2013-1-1 to 2013-7-17 when the data-explorer was last updated):
- 22.8% [google-charts] 102 out of 448
- 20.6% [google-visualization] 32 out of 155
- 19.2% [google-charts-api] 35 out of 182
- 38.1% [google-geochart] 8 out of 21
Over 7 months I have provided over 130 answers and amassed 2,000 reputation through blood, sweat, and tears, though roughly half of my answers have zero upvotes, and over half are not accepted answers (these tags hover around 30-40% unanswered primarily from hit-and-run questions).