What is the recommended method/syntax for denoting keyboard shortcuts in Stack Exchange questions and answers?

For example, how would you write the following in a less verbose manner?

  • Press ctrl, and press either the minus key or the equals key
  • Ctrl or cmd, and lowercase c
  • Ctrl, alt and a, then ctrl and uppercase l
  • Hold ctrl or cmd while scrolling with the mouse wheel

(Well, the last one isn't strictly a keyboard shortcut)

Return to FAQ index


Note that you can now do this using the <kbd> tag.

  • Ctrl + - or Ctrl + =

  • Ctrl + C

  • Ctrl + A

  • Ctrl + Shift + L

Obviously you have to watch your line spacing due to the additional height of the line.

  • 24
    It almost seems unfair that you get to implement a feature in order to provide the best answer to certain questions. :) Aug 31 '09 at 19:44
  • 6
    Why isn't this answer marked as correct? Nov 15 '15 at 21:01
  • 1
    These don't work in comments unfortunately
    – deed02392
    Jan 13 '20 at 12:07

I'd say we do it just like it is done all over the world since the beginning of time:

  • C-- or C-=
  • C-c
  • C-a C-L
  • C-x M-c M-butterfly
  • 1
    Ah, good old xkcd :-D
    – Bahbar
    Nov 6 '09 at 8:51
  • This one I did not get..;( Nov 15 '15 at 21:00

I’d say we do it just like it’s done all over the world since the beginning of time.

  • Ctrl-Minus/=
  • Ctrl-c
  • Ctrl-a Ctrl-L
  • 1
    "we do it just like it’s done all over the world since the beginning of time"? With sticks and mud? Oct 20 '12 at 17:13
  • Ancient writing techniques included the wedge, the reed stylus, and bone/metal styli: cdli.ox.ac.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=cuneiform_writing_techniques . For those of us in modern times, we can search the internet for keyboards with cuneiform keycaps or use Unicode renderings.
    – David J.
    Dec 26 '20 at 19:54

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .