So, I've been giving the mobile application a while for the last week or so, and I'm thrilled to be able to give feedback and report bugs on it. I'm also thrilled that I can use the Stack Exchange network on my mobile, or tablet!
After about a week, though, I started to realize a few deficiencies in the application - some of which I've already reported as bugs, some of which are already reported, and some of which I'm not sure I should report, since I don't know what role this application is meant to serve.
So, I consider myself a bit of a power user of [Meta]StackOverflow. I ask questions (at least on Meta), write answers, comment, but the bulk of my time spent on SO isn't geared towards that - it is, more times than not, flagging content, reviewing content, editing content, and otherwise consuming content.
The mobile application is certainly geared towards producing content and consuming content. It does a fine job of that (although there are some rough cuts). What I find myself doing, more often than not, though, isn't directly related to production or consumption of content - although I would agree that editing posts while on a 4 inch screen isn't ideal.
I'll compare my flow with the mobile version of the site.
- On the mobile site, I can check my profile.
- I can see my cumulative daily reputation score here.
- I can see my favorite questions here.
- I can see my most recent activity.
- I get credit for visiting the site.
- In the app, I can check the feed.
- I see new questions on sites that I'm definitely a member of, or that I've recently visited in the app.
- I'm not convinced I get credit for visiting the site on the mobile app. Nor am I convinced that I should - although I want to.
- On the mobile site, I can see what badges I've earned overall.
- In the app, I can see what badges I've earned that day.
- On the mobile site, I can order the results of questions with a lot of answers by votes.
- On the app, that's not possible.
What I'm getting at is, despite it being an early alpha, it doesn't feel like it's going to have feature parity with the mobile desktop site.
So, is it meant to supersede the mobile desktop site? Is it meant to be a CRUD application for SO? Or does it fit somewhere in between? I can provide better feedback and bug reports to the team if I have a clear understanding of what niche the app is trying to fill.