The perfect question for my problem is erroneously closed as a duplicate. The one answer doesn't work; in fact, it's an answer to the (allegedly) duplicated question. Maybe that (and the fact that the answer was, at one point, accepted) is part of the problem.
- I commented on the question itself
- I commented on the unsatisfactory answer
- I carefully examined the alleged duplicate to make sure it was different
- I edited the question to highlight the differences
- I flagged it for moderator attention ... twice, or tried to, anyway - see below
- I'm asking about it on Meta