It would be useful to filter the job listings by those companies that use the internal SO Careers application process. Or if not a filter, an icon or indicator on the listing results.
- I love the Careers Profile approach that tries to pull together lots of areas (e.g. Top Answers, Open Source, Books Read) to let a potential employer get a more complete impression than typically gleaned from only cover letter and resume.
- Apparently companies that post jobs to the site have a radio button about whether they're going to use the built-in application process or simply provide a link to other site for actually submitting resume.
- I'm going to take a wild guess and assume that in most cases when companies don't use the built-in application process that they also haven't adopted the philosophy of using the Careers Profile to get a sense of the candidate.
- In Careers Profile you need to say whether you're an active or passive candidate, but in the real world this is more of a continuum where you might sometimes apply to job listings that look interesting.
- In this "somewhere between passive and active" job search mode, I would prefer to pursue employers who have "bought into" the philosophy of the site and are not just using it as one more source to collect a giant pile of resumes and sift them later.