I know this appears to be a duplicate. It's been brought up a dozen times on meta.stackoverflow.com. I've read many of them, but none of them really describe my scenario which I've been unable to solve.
Within the last few days, my Firefox (version 24.0) started giving me this error in a red bar across the top of the browser window any time I go to any stackoverflow.com site:
(This example is from meta.stackoverflow.com.)
Here are some pieces of information:
- It's only happening in Firefox. Chrome and IE are still working fine
- I have tried a variety of settings in Firefox, including SAFE MODE, and the problem still occur (even while in safe mode)
- I've cleared the cache, I've rebooted, and the problem persists
- I've checked my network settings, I don't use a proxy.
- I went to Security Settings and added ajax.googleapis.com as an "Exception" and the problem persists.
- I am only running Microsoft Windows Essentials antivirus on Windows 7. No special firewall or anti-adware software. I have a router based firewall on my network which hasn't changed in a very long time (again, my other browsers are working fine on stackoverflow.com).
- Everything was truly working fine for a very long time when at some point I had some weird problem happen in Firefox where it would randomly start playing some kind of weird music in the background and I would have to restart it. This went on for a couple of days and I finally uninstalled Firefox and reinstalled it which got rid of that problem. My stackoverflow problem appears to have occurred shortly after that (not immediately). I don't know if they're related, but I'll just say that it's a bit "suspicious".
- I'm no longer able to use stackoverflow.com with Firefox due to this problem.
I think I've mentioned everything important. I can't think of anything else to try. I tried the things suggested on the other similar problem reports, things which seem to have solved the issue for others, but not for my case. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be interested.
EDIT It was previously only a problem with Firefox, and now I'm getting it with Chrome as well. So I'm down to using IE to make this edit. The problem arose right after I added a comment to a stackoverflow.com post.
So far the problem seems to be limited to stackoverflow.com, but I don't do a lot of web browsing during the course of a day, so it's difficult to tell.