After reading lots and lots of questions on Meta about notifications... there could be one solution for all the questions about notifications on here! Just have a notification toggle center! Facebook has one and it works great, if someone doesn't want to receive a certain notification, they don't have to... but at least the user can decided what they want to be notified about and what they don't.
I think a power user and a regular user have different notification needs, and the site should reflect these needs based on user opt-in and out.
I'm not talking about email notification, I'm taking about in-site notifications.
- Decision on rejected edits should be displayed as a notification to the editor
- Deletion notifications
- Mark questions to receive notifications and updates?
- Notification for voting
- Optional notification on an edit to an answer
- Notification on close
- Question Deletion Notification?
- Comment deletion notification
- The list can go on forever!
Attached is a screen shot from Facebook's Notifications Preferences (obviously Stack Exchange would have different preferences):