My real Romanian name is: Ionică Bizău. You can see
ă letter that is very close to
a (in both: writing and pronouncing).
After setting my username as
Ionică Bizău the link to my profile became:
I know that if I write
I am redirected to my profile, but this confuses me every time I go to my profile seeing
ionic-bizu in the link...
I would suggest to remove this or to replace the diacritics with normal letters.
e.g. For Romanian diacritics:
+-----+----+ | ă | a | +-----+----+ | â | a | +-----+----+ | î | i | +-----+----+ | ș | s | +-----+----+ | ț | t | +-----+----+
Update: If keeping the url containing special characters is ok, it's very good. My problem is that the letters from my name are removed.
I just found that
ë is replaced with
e in the profile url. See Pëkka's profile. Its url is:
meta.stackoverflow.com/users/138112/pekka` ^--- Do you sëë? :-)
I finally decided to use
ã character that is very close to
ă (but not the same!).
My SO profile url looks fine: https://stackoverflow.com/users/1420197/ionica-bizau
On the other profiles I still keep the old username, so I still want this to be fixed!
aawhen limited to ASCII characters. This is not always a straightforward transformation.
ionic-bizuevery time when I go to my profile!
åcan also be expressed as the composition of
aand the ` ̊` COMBINING RING ABOVE codepoint U+030A, and any good unicode data library will give you access to the composed form and create a simple algorithm to replace
a. It all gets a little more complicated when it comes to alphabets not based on the western character set, of course.
ue; in Spanish, it is likely
u. I'm sure there are more such localized distinctions
ãis replaced, but
ănot. Hope it will be fixed soon.