It's a very common behavior to refine answers several times after submitting them. Most of the time, the refinement is just adding and removing several characters or words. You might notice some other issues right after the edit. It's pretty common to face a CAPTCHA. The current threshold is a little unacceptable (specially for slow connections).
Some reductions in CAPTCHA throttle thresholds, if you have > 10k rep:
- for edits -- reduced by two-thirds
- for post submission times -- min seconds reduced by one half, max minutes increased by 2x
additionally: assuming you are a logged in user and have >= 200 reputation, after successfully completing one captcha we now suppress captcha for 5 minutes on your account.
I have several possible solutions:
- Take the edit magnitude (the number of characters edited) into account. Don't ask for a captcha for a number of small edits.
- Just increase the threshold.
- Take the rep into account. Either use a step-function to reduce captchas after a specific rep or decrease captcha count as the rep goes high. However, if you chose this route, you should make sure there's a maximum limit so that if a high-rep account is hijacked, not much harm can be done.
- Remove that stupid image. It's a pain to wait for it to load on slow and high latency connections like mine.