Would it be wrong to crosspost on both SO and wait for anyone to answer?
The whole reason cross posting is discouraged is it splits answers and comments between communities, however, the guideline was established when you had 2 sites with different but overlapping scopes, not 2 sites with identical scopes merely differing in the accepted language of the site.
Personally, I still don't think cross posting is the best option. Assuming you speak both languages well enough to translate, I think you should pick the site that think would give you the best answer, and ask it there.
If the question is really a good question and gets several good answers, then repost it in the other site. You can self answer with 1 or more of the good answers you already got, translated into the other language (preferably as CW and it must be attributed to the original poster based on the requirements of the CC license*). Then if either question gets additional good answers, you can add them in the future in the same manner. I think it will require some maintenance on your part, but I think it would be helpful to avoid problems of good questions being unavailable to users who don't speak the appropriate language.
* The attribution requirements are covered in https://stackoverflow.blog/2009/06/25/attribution-required/ and include the following as mentioned by Jeff Atwood
- Visually indicate that the content is from Stack Overflow or the Stack Exchange network in some way. It doesn’t have to be obnoxious; a discreet text blurb is fine.
- Hyperlink directly to the original question on the source site (e.g., http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12345)
- Show the author names for every question and answer
- Hyperlink each author name directly back to their user profile page on the source site (e.g., http://stackoverflow.com/users/12345/username)