There is a long standing ban on allowing suggested edits on per-site meta:
I would like this relaxed on beta sites to allow broader participation to help shape beta site meta posts.
I just ran into this on this post where I wanted to correct the list of sites that allow software recommendations. Wouldn't it make sense to allow edit suggestions on beta sites since restricting edits to +1k users on beta sites means an extremely limited group of people can even suggest a change to a post?
Here is the problem:
- Undocumented behavior. The about page says "Any user can propose edits, but not all edits are publicly visible immediately."
- Confusing behavior. Why are meta edits harder to moderate than site edits? Where else on SE does a control show dimmed out when you cannot even exercise that control? Shouldn't the edit text be hidden if no suggested edits are allowed?
- Reduces input. Anyone who reviews edits knows that some absolute gems come from anonymous and new editors. How is preventing edits making the meta site better for the users or the moderators? Restricting diversity is bad, especially if it's not for a clear and convincing reason. The only reason posted for this restriction characterizes the edit review queue as needing a 10k user to process (which isn't applicable anymore since 2k users review edits now site wide - 1k on beta sites). The argument that "yet another queue" seems out of place with the current design and this doesn't have to be another queue.
- Causes more work. If someone wants to edit a post on a beta meta, they have to:
- (ab)use the comments like I did. (Which does discuss the question, but causes more work and noise for someone to do the edit rather than approve or deny the edit).
- Flag it for a moderator to help. (Which presumably would be the last flag a moderator should be handling, but really - how many flags happen on beta meta sites?)
- Go away and not edit a post on a site meta where you wanted to edit a post.
- Document the current behavior in the help pages site wide. If meta are special, say so clearly.
- This is subjective, but I believe we should strive for "making things as simple as possible but not simpler" What we have may have been good when the kinks were being worked out, but it's not simple enough IMO.
- Roll per site meta edits for beta sites into the main edit queue just as proposed on the request to change this site wide:
the ideal solution would be to just add the suggested edits on the meta to the queue on the main site. That way there would be no additional queue, and the meta sites would be editable by anyone like all the main sites