Well, this is the feature request out of this situation. Apparently people closed this post with some duplicates pointing to it and Community ♦ deleted it. There should be some checks in place that would follow the linked questions that are flagged as duplicates of the master before trying to delete it to raise awareness of this and vote to reopen the dupes or delete them too.
I'm for this, though there are several points for which this needs to be touched on:
- Deletion while dup vote in process
- Deletion by roomba scripts
- In particular, the 9 day script (has no answers with score > 0)
- Poor quality question dups (user asks poor quality question A, gets closed, user asks poor quality question A', gets closed as dup of A)
- Merges don't appear to get deleted if the question they are merged to gets deleted.
- Rejected migrations
- Question A is asked on day 1 on SO, migrated to P.SE on day 2, question B duped to question A, question A closed and deleted
- Accepted migrations
- Question A is asked on day 1 on SO, question B is asked on day 2 on SO, question A is migrated to P.SE, 30 day roomba script deletes question A
- That 'only question asked by a user who deletes' cleanup that I can't quite put my finger on that deletes the question(s) asked too
- User self deleting own question
- Deletion by human mod
- Deletion by 10k votes
The last two are probably the easiest to deal with as they are 'vote to delete' type processes.