What are the objective of the post ban feature and how does it accomplish them?
Reasons for its existence
- Improving the quality of users' contributions
- Discourage low quality posts1
- Encourage users to make an effort to search for their issue (to avoid duplicates)
- Save moderators a lot of time and energy. The automated post bans may seem harsh at times, but moderator time is a very expensive resource, especially on a site the size of SO. Not having our moderators deal with what's at the very bottom of the trash bin is a very good thing.
- The main reason is to solve the problem of the front page being flooded with low-quality questions
Encouraging users to put effort in asking
- Asking users to review and improve their old questions and answers
- Asking users to contribute in a constructive way (e.g. suggesting edits and providing answers)
1: Needs a definition of "low quality"