Over the years, users of non-MathJax-enabled sites complained about unparsed TeX markup in the titles of Hot Network Questions coming from Mathematics and other MathJax-enabled sites. For example:
- Markup in the allboard "hot questions" list
- Unreadable LaTeX in hot questions
- Suppress Hot Questions containing MathJax markup on non-MathJax sites homepage
I haven't found any announcement of this change, but it appears that questions whose titles contain TeX markup are being excluded from Hot Network Questions. Evidence:
- I don't see markup in any questions present on the list
- When I saw a question with the title "Real Analysis- Calculus" on the Hot Network Questions list and renamed it to something sensible, it disappeared when I refreshed the list.
I hope someone from SE can confirm or refute the above. If this is true, then the feature requests numbered 2 and 3 above have been fulfilled.
Tangential: I know all about MathJax being heavy, but if it was enabled on stackexchange.com site (which I assume does not get the traffic of SO), the questions could still be shown there... (I won't make this a feature request until the status of the above is clarified).