(I apologize in advance if this is more of a feature enhancement than a bug.)
When choosing to edit a comment, I can still see my original, and I'm able to delete it while I'm editing. (I haven't tested, but I might even be able to choose to edit the original comment while I'm already in the process of editing it...?)
When I try to post the edit after deletion has occurred, it simply fails to post at all.
Steps to reproduce:
- Post a comment to a question/answer.
- Click your comment and choose to edit it. Your comment text should appear in a text entry field, but your original comment remains visible.
- Click the original comment and delete it.
- Attempt to post your edited comment. It will fail because the comment could not be found.
It could easily be resolved by:
- using a separate form as with questions/answers,
- hiding the original comment text to prevent its deletion while editing, or
- silently posting a new comment with the edit text if the original comment was deleted.
I'd prefer one of the latter two resolutions if possible as it allows one to easily refer back to the question/answer/comment.
I suppose a possibly more complicated option might be removing the edit and delete options from the menu for that comment while the comment is being edited.
SE app version: 220.127.116.11
Samsung Galaxy Nexus