According to my question Voting the question vs. Voting the answer I felt there is a difference between votes casted to the questions and voted casted to the answers in the nature of votes and in the target persons,
- Votes on questions are more useful and addressed to the answerers and moderators or the active community members who follow or manage the list of questions and the quality of the website and the OP to get informed about the faults in his question. (I call them group A)
- Votes on answers are more useful and addressed to the OP and other askers who mainly find a random question through a search engine, they usually look for the best answer for their questions and not other questions. (I call them group B)
Then I think they need different voting mechanism and would like to propose some suggestions for that:
- Up votes on the questions could be the indicator of the usefulness of the question or the number of users who have the same question, Then it needs lower reputation and all users could contribute on it.
As the down votes on the questions is targeted more to the OP and the other answerer and moderators then:
- The reputation needed to cast down votes on questions should be different with the one needed for votes (up or down) on the answers and up votes for the questions. This right should be more shaped to the group A.
- The reason for the down votes should be clear to the Group A, since it's their main function. Then after casting a down vote a pop up could ask the reason in multiple choices. Choices could be according to the reasons for closing or holding a question such as (Unclear, Off-topic, Not researched well, Too board, Opinion based..., Other (Please specify)
- As the main function of down votes to the questions is to help moderators, OP and the answerer (group A), if a question already have an accepted answer then down-vote to the question loose its main applicability, and I suggest to be restricted.
This way the OP and other answerer have less confusion on the purpose of down votes and they can enhance the questions better.