I know that HTTPS isn't officially supported, but it works well enough for me on StackExchange most of the time.
Recently something changed with chat so that I can't login to it with the HTTPS Everywhere plugin (in Firefox) enabled.
My use case:
- I'm on Pro Webmasters (using HTTPS)
- From the "StackExchange" menu I select "chat" to get to the Pro Webmasters chat rooms
- I go to chat (also on HTTPS), but it is a list of chat rooms that are not specific to the webmaster site. I also notice that I'm not logged in.
- I click the "login" link and I get get the message
Please log in to any StackExchange site first, or log in via StackExchange.com.
- Firefox pops up the security warning:
Although this page is encrypted, the information you have entered is to be sent over an unencrypted connection and could easily be read by a third party. Are you sure you want to continue sending this information?(I hit "Continue")
- The chat server gives me the error
No referer was present - this may be due to a browser setting
Up until a week or two ago I was able to access chat even when using the HTTPS Everywhere plugin. Something changed recently.