This question already has an answer here:
- Help us find duplicates efficiently 5 answers
On the Android site, I wanted to close a question as a duplicate of another I was familiar with. In the close dialog, I typed
where can i find stock or custom roms for my android device, expecting to find this post.
Instead, it was 9th in the list. All of the results above it were closed as duplicates of it, and the highest score any had was 7 (as opposed to 69 for the one I wanted).
Regular search results from the bar at the top of the site return it first, as one would expect. So I have a few questions:
- Why does the dupe search behave differently if it's not better for its intended task? This is the most egregious case I've seen, but I can't recall a time when I wasn't frustrated with the results.
- Why does the duplicate search even show closed questions? At best, you're creating an annoying chain; at worst, you're just screwing the asker over.
- If a question has lots of duplicates pointing to it, shouldn't the results rank it highly? Apparently we need to go back to 2011.
- Honestly, how can searching the exact title not make it the first result?