Following up on the discussion here, I make the following proposal to address the problem of edits to lots of very old posts causing newer posts to be bumped down.
- Create a new review queue for edits of very old posts.
Users with sufficient reputation for the review privilege would choose one of following three options:
- Reject the edit for one of the usual reasons (too minor, attempt to answer, question as comment, etc.)
- Accept the edit, but do not bump the post. (If the edit improves something, but is not worthy enough of everyone's attention.)
- Accept the edit, and bump the post (If edit is significant enough that everyone needs to look at it.)
As it happens with other review queues, bump the post only if 5 reviewers agree.
- Alternatively, one could add a check-box to the Suggested Edits review, to enable the reviewer to allow or disallow bumping.