The weekly newsletter is rather simplistic. We get "Top questions last week" and "Can you answer these?", and from my understanding the top questions are taken from the "This Week" tab, and the "Can you answer these?" section consists in a random selection of unanswered questions.
Nice, but pretty basic stuff.
When you're an active member of a community, there are many, many other things that are interesting, and that could be included. Elections are one thing, but there's so much more...
I would like the weekly newsletter to become some sort of a weekly update on a site's activity, showing:
- How many new users joined that week
- Reputation rankings, showing top-10 users that week (or link to reputation league for the site)
- Some metrics on site activity (both for that week and overall/total):
- Total questions asked
- Total answers posted
- Total %answered
- Total questions closed (breakdown by reason?)
- Number of badges awarded that week (bronze/silver/gold)
- Who earned which gold badges that week (would be a short list on most sites)
- Top-5 meta questions that week
- Top-5 main site questions that week ("Top new questions this week") tailored to the recipient's favorite/ignored tags, or just a plain top-5 if recipient doesn't have favorite/ignored tags.
- Links to some unanswered questions ("Can you answer these?")
- Links to featured content (blog posts, elections page, whatever is going on)
Would that be posssible? Parts of it? Could we have charts? How would the layout look like?
How many new users joined that weekThat would not be beneficial.
Reputation rankings, showing top-10 users that week, I would not gain anything out of this.
Number of badges...Not necessary.
Who earned which gold badges..Do we really need to know ? This looks like a more of statistical data. I guess these can be displayed somewhere in the site itself. With all the information above we would have a congested newsletter.