This question already has an answer here:
Currently, I have many historical questions (which have short, definitive, objective answers) that I would like to ask about games, and gaming. While much of gaming history is not necessarily well known, a lot of that is changing. Questions like:
- Why does Mario have a mustache? (yes, there is a non subjective answer to this!)
- Why did the original zelda have such strange enemy names?
- Why did early consoles have so few buttons?
- Why was Japanese Mario 2 not released in the United States?
- Why did John Romero leave id?
The answers to these questions can be found, and answers can be backed up with evidence, citations etc. Since this information is historical (over 30 years old some of it) it is not hidden behind non-disclosures, as some might assume. However, there is no Stack Exchange that I know of that accepts these types of questions about games, while there is a an ever expanding study of gaming history.
Edit: Just so those skipping the comments know, no, I am not allowed to post these types of questions on "Gaming" - though I wish I could.