When I get a notification in my inbox in the upper left corner about an event on one of the SE sites other than the one I am logged into, frequently I have to login again. This is mildly annoying, but becomes massively so e.g. when I am visiting from a loan computer using the browser's "private mode".
I see no reason why authentication should be necessary. As far as I am aware, there is no way to have different passwords on different sites, so the site which is serving me the link already knows who I am, and what my credentials are; this information should be possible to relay to the receiving site as well (though I am probably not qualified to specify exactly how).
Steps to repro:
- Have accounts with the same user ID on two sites in the SE network.
- Log in to one of them using the "private" mode in your browser.
- Wait for something on the other site to cause a notification to appear in the supercollider (red circled 1 in upper left corner in the desktop view; upper right in mobile)
- Open the menu and select the new notification.
- Transparently transferred to the sister site to the event which I was notified about
- Need to authenticate on the sister site; land on its start page (adding insult to injury)