Before I jump on to the problem, let me first congratulate Jon Chan and his team for the newly re-designed Stack Exchange blog. I like it very much, great job!
While searching on Google, I stumbled upon Customizing stackexchange.com blog post of Jeff Atwood and found few broken images. There are currently four images are broken on this post, Here is one of them:
Upon doing an inspect element on one of the broken image (same goes for all other broken images on the post), I found out that it is currently pointing to:
The newly re-designed Stack Exchange blog is now moved to a new location: http://blog.stackexchange.com and the old blog URL i.e. http://blog.stackoverflow.com has the correct mapping of URL redirection (also called URL forwarding) and works perfectly.
But, the problem lies in the latter part i.e.
/wp-content/uploads/ directory structure does not exist anymore at the new blog location. I read the Jon Chan's How We Built Our Blog post (nice writeup! btw) where he talks about his custom Python script. Here is the relevant excerpt taken from that post:
I wrote a Python script to go through all the imported posts, looked for references to WordPress hosted content, download all the static assets into images/wordpress in the repo, and changed all the links to relative paths on Jekyll. Worked surprisingly well.
In other words, all of the old
/wp-content/uploads/ static assets is now resides under the
/images/wordpress/ directory at the new blog location. So, Jon's find and replace script should have worked (which it did for the most of the part) as intended to be but apparently it did not catch few of them. At least on this blog post and few other like Welcome Valued Associate Nick Craver, Logo Design Contest or Stack Overflow Beta Design. We could possibly have more but these are the ones I have found so far.
I believe it's a minor bug somewhere in the script and could be fixed with few lines of code tweaking. Also, the static content link mapping problem would not have occurred at all if the directory name was unchanged as the URL redirection (as stated above) would have taken care of it. But, there must a reason for this change.
Upon investigating further, I found out that the issue with broken images does not end here. They will still appear as broken even if Jon's script replaces the path to the correct one. Because the images have not been uploaded (or copied) to the blog's new
/images/wordpress/ directory at all. They are missing!
For example, try clicking on the following link:
## I replaced old dir. path /wp-content/uploads/ to the new /images/wordpress/
So, in a nutshell, in order to fix this broken images link problem, we need to make sure that not only they are pointing to new path i.e.
/images/wordpress/ but also do exists (i.e. uploaded) at the blog's new location.
Please fix this at your earliest.