I'd like to ask a question about a particular diacritical mark, specifically the name for one, but

  • There's no SE site for typography,
  • This mark isn't unique to just English nor am I referring to its usage but rather the mark itself, so the EL&U site won't do, and
  • I'm not asking about how to input these characters either so the different computer-related sites like Stack Overflow, Super User, and so forth aren't applicable, either.

Is there one I should use? Or, if not, in which would you recommend I post?

  • 3
    If it doesn't exist, why not create a proposal on Area 51? – Downgoat Jul 5 '15 at 7:59
  • Because I imagine that if I proposed a site, I would be expected to spearhead it myself, and I neither have the time nor the resources to do such a thing. – SarahofGaia Jul 5 '15 at 10:22
  • 2
    @SarahofGaia nope, you can create it and then do nothing with it at all. – Tim Jul 5 '15 at 10:25
  • Oh really? That's awesome! Thanks! – SarahofGaia Jul 5 '15 at 10:26
  • 1
    @SarahofGaia in fact there already is a proposal: area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/88060/typography – Downgoat Jul 5 '15 at 10:26
  • Oh? Well there we go, then! ^_^ Thanks for letting me know that! – SarahofGaia Jul 5 '15 at 10:33

You can ask on Graphic Design

This includes questions about:

  • Graphic arts theory and history; "Why" we do what we do and not necessarily the "how" in logo design, fonts & typography, visual communication

Questions about diacritical marks are allowed on Graphic Design. There are currently 10 posts about this.

Here is the image you added in your comment:

enter image description here

It's called a Diaeresis (also known as the trema or the umlaut).

Source What topics can I ask about here?

| improve this answer | |
  • Good suggestion, but I'm not asking the "how" either. I want to ask what the name of a particular diacritical mark is. – SarahofGaia Jul 5 '15 at 10:24
  • It's more the "what" than the "how", I suppose one could say. – SarahofGaia Jul 5 '15 at 10:24
  • Try asking there anyway. I don't think there is a more suitable site. – DavidPostill Jul 5 '15 at 10:25
  • Should I post on their meta site first? – SarahofGaia Jul 5 '15 at 10:26
  • Sure: charbase.com/images/glyph/235. Also, it's multi-lingual. – SarahofGaia Jul 5 '15 at 10:32
  • @SarahofGaia It's called a Diaeresis (also known as the trema or the umlaut). en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diaeresis_%28diacritic%29 – DavidPostill Jul 5 '15 at 10:37
  • 1
    No, that's a common misconception. A diæresis (also spelled diaeresis or dieresis) and an umlaut are two distinct phonological events. A diæresis is placed over the 2nd vowel in a dipthong and signifies a syllable break; an umlaut is placed over the 1st vowel and signifies a pronunciation change. Thus, the character's name is context-dependent. See here. – SarahofGaia Jul 5 '15 at 11:03
  • I want to know what the name of the mark itself is, regardless of context. For example, the "." can be called either a full stop/period if used to terminate a sentence, or it can be called a decimal if used to separate the fractional digits from the integer digits of a numeral; yet it also has a context-independent name, i.e. a name for the mark itself, and that is a "baseline dot". – SarahofGaia Jul 5 '15 at 11:03
  • 1
    @SarahofGaia If you look at the history the "2 dots" was originally called a "trema". The name change occurred when it was given to different meanings (with different names). So the name of the "2 dots" tcould be said to be a Trema. – DavidPostill Jul 5 '15 at 11:26
  • Interesting. What source did you get this from? I've heard the word "tréma" (also spelled "trema") many times, and I've suspected it may be the word I'm looking for, but I haven't been able to find any information about its meaning. – SarahofGaia Jul 5 '15 at 11:35

I wonder if Linguistics might not also be a good choice. There are a few questions there about alphabets and diacritical marks.

| improve this answer | |

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .