Currently the displayed number of questions in a tag is:
- If I search for questions with a tag: The total number of tags in the synonym group.
- In the tag search (and some other places): The number of questions that have been tagged with this very tag. If a tag is a synonym source, these are questions that were tagged before synonymisation (if I am not mistaken).
- In the tag bubble (or tooltip): The number of questions that have been directly tagged with the synonym group’s master synonym, i.e., not with a synonym source.
- In search: 1531 questions for both.
- In the tag search: 1414 questions for search and 301 for advanced-search.
- In the tag bubble: 1.4 k for both.
If this weren’t already confusing by itself, there are cases where significantly fewer questions were originally tagged with the master tag than with the synonyms being mapped to it, which leads to totally wrong impressions on the size of a tag from tag search or the tag bubble.
I thus request that the total number of questions in a synonym group is shown at all occasions.