Close votes and Close Review are definitely connected, but the nature of the connection remains a mystery - which leads to confusion.
Specifically, Close votes and close Review votes appear to be one and the same:
- The close reason selection UI is identical
- "Previous votes" seen in the UI in both cases always have have the same number and distribution
- The numbers of both types of votes appear to always be the same
- Sometimes, discrepancies occur between the numbers
- Voting to close initiates Close Review, but finishing the Close Review with "keep" doesn't make the Close Votes disappear
Which is counterintuitive and thus appears to be a bug (which, as the linked question showed, it is not) or a bias in the system.
So, how do the mechanisms interact? Specifically, how are the two close vote types related?