I have an image of a type of hat in the real world, but I don't know what it's called. Where can I ask what the name for this kind of hat is?

My first thought was the single-word-requests tag on English Language and Usage, but according to that tag's info:

To ensure your question is not closed as off-topic, please be specific about the intended use of the word. YOU MUST INCLUDE A SAMPLE SENTENCE DEMONSTRATING HOW THE WORD WOULD BE USED.

which means that it has to be about a word, not about "what kind of object is this?".

Where can I ask what the name for an object in an image is?

  • What kind of object is it? Meaning... do you know what sort of thing it is or is it a complete mystery? – Catija Oct 2 '15 at 14:40
  • @Catija It's a hat, but I don't know what kind of hat it is. – ASCIIThenANSI Oct 2 '15 at 14:41
  • 2
    If there's no SE site for this, you could try your luck at The Wolfram Language Image Identification Project, where you just have to upload an image and the server tries to identify it. – ProgramFOX Oct 2 '15 at 14:47

I think you'll be fine on ELU if you use the tag along with the SWR tag.

Follow the example of this question:

Is there a term for this piece of hair?

Which, I believe, fits what you're trying to ask.

  • That is exactly what I want. Thanks! – ASCIIThenANSI Oct 2 '15 at 14:47

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .