Is there (or has there been) any SE site where I can ask questions about driving techniques, car handling, etc?
I couldn't find anything in the list of sites or on Area51. Close misses include travel.SE, which has a "driving" tag but which I believe understandably limits it to driving-related issues in long distance trips (e.g. driving abroad, rental cars, etc), and mechanics.SE, which doesn't allow driving questions. There's a "cars" Area51 proposal, but it's for car enthusiasts, not about driving, and it looks to be going nowhere/duped to mechanics.SE.
It'd be remarkable if we had sites for cyclists and pilots, and a proposal for a boating site, but not drivers or motorists. I was expecting to find something like a failed "Motorists" beta; I'm surprised to find nothing at all.
Here are a few example questions I'd be interested in seeing authoritative, fact-based, SE-style answers to - where people I know and sources I've tried online give a variety of contradictory or weakly reasoned answers. For some of them I've even had contradictory answers from different driving instructors:
- Is there any harm in changing gear to "2" or "L" in an automatic while moving at a speed suitable for that gear?
- Is there any difference between driving an automatic in "L" and "D" when you won't exceed 5-10mph (e.g. up a very steep hill)?
- Can an automatic engine stall? (and if it can, how to safely get going again without a clutch?)
- Is it ever safe to coast while moving downhill, e.g. at very low speeds? (in countries where it's legal)
- In regions where drivers expect the horn to be used during ordinary overtaking, at what point during overtaking will sounding the horn most reduce the risk of collisions?
- Why does driving a manual car (usually) use less fuel than an automatic with the same number of gears?
- What signs should a driver of an automatic look for that their transmission might be failing?
- Does driving an automatic at below the 1st gear tick-over speed by applying the footbrake cause wear to the breaks? (or does it behave like easing off the clutch in a manual?)
- Do "reverse" and "first" gears always have the exact same speed:power ratio?
- Is there any type of incident where a rear-facing dashcam could avoid a driver being unfairly blamed? (which wouldn't be presumed in their favour anyway)
Update: it sounds like there isn't one, so I'm expanding this question to - has any such site ever been attempted? I know that failed sites are often deleted from Area51, which might be why I'm not finding one. Also, might anyone be interested in starting one - "driving and motoring", maybe, covering all aspects of car ownership and use except those covered by mechanics.SE? (I'm not experienced enough to do it myself).