Imagine someone new coming to SO to ask about Java, in most cases their questions will be duplicates. Same thing in Travel.SE, someone coming to ask how to book a ticket, etc.
Now, if there was a page in each SE site, with the following features:
- It contains questions targeting beginners in a specific field covered by the site, for example Java. The section is also a tag.
- The questions selected to show in this page are voted for by top users/mods in the site.
- The page to be advertised for new users when posting a new question, the tags and/or the title can be used to figure it out.
- Can also be advertised for new users who recently asked questions.
- The selected questions to be shown in the tag info page under a section called "Beginners questions".
- The list itself should be simple, as any other list page. SE specific information such as score should be removed in that listing page, to make it easier for the new guys who are not familiar with SE.
One can argue that users can check the suggested questions list, but that's a different thing. This page will cover larger area for new users. It actually might help them and save the site some extra duplicates.