I would very much like to earn the Archimedes hat.
The two tips for earning this coveted hat are the following:
Solve these riddles and it's yours. (Sound familiar?)
Running naked through the streets of Syracuse is strongly discouraged, and neither I nor Stack Exchange are responsible for the consequences if you choose to do so.
If solving a riddle refers to unlocking the secret hat, which seems the most sensible interpretation, then where do you post your solution? I have had conflicting advice from two different mods. One told me,
How to earn Archimedes: posting on meta (or anywhere else public) is and always was a bad way of submitting guesses, because it ruins the fun for everyone else once the correct trigger is posted. The preferred way would be to e-mail guesses to firstname.lastname@example.org. Or even to me directly
Now, I happen to think that this is not an idyllic solution. First, email correspondence implies privacy, and if an exchange is private, how would the community know if the rules of the game had been respected? Secondly, the person awarded the Archimedes hat might not reveal the key to unlocking the secret hat to third parties, or they might very well do so, via an exchange of comments which can be easily deleted. And lastly, the number of emails that would bombard the mods would be scary to say the least. Therefore, informing Stack Exchange moderators through emails offers no guarantee that the secret won't be revealed later to friends when they are having a chat.
Which brings me nicely to the second piece of advice,
To have chance of winning the Archimedes hat, better guess in the Tavern, or David's room for secret hats. :)
The “Tavern” is a chat room in meta SE. I went to visit and lurk around the “Tavern”, and basically there was some talk about spam, and a lot about free hand circles. The only information I gleamed about the secret hats was the following
@username well, only two are still secret, right? Onion and Tiger.
There are currently thirteen rooms on SE meta, none were called “David room”, so I went into a chat room called the “Shadow Den”, thinking it might be some sort of code... it's not. But there are some very nice folk there. Anyway, do you just barge in The Tavern, post your off-topic solution and then hang around? I suppose some regular chat users might reply, but I don't know anyone in meta SE, it's quite an intimidating environment for an outsider such as myself. I doubt I will post my solution in a chat room, if that is the only venue but someone else could.
- Is it true only two secret hat solutions remain?
- Does that mean there are a total of thirteen Archimedes hats? Can more than one person earn an Archimedes hat for the same solution?
- Where do users post their Archimedes solutions? (I think it's “The Tavern”)
- Why has this specific piece of straightforward information been so poorly communicated? Can we please avoid the same confusion repeating itself next year.
- I thought unlocking the secret hat, Edward Edwards, still had to be fully revealed. Am I mistaken?
- I believe I know how to earn the Edward Edwards hat because I earned it myself yesterday. But it is difficult to verify since all the posts and comments submitted by different users on Winter Bash 2015 were deleted on December 24th, there were various bits and bobs which was fun putting together. C'est la vie...
If you ping me with the solution to Onion Knight, I promise I might email you a PayPal check when I get the hat ...