UPDATE (and my vote to close)
After posting, some more searches finally yielded some related questions.
Question making this a duplicate:
Related questions, expressing similar sentiments as mine:
- Solution for semi-anonymous posts / accounts
- There needs to be a way to delete content or disassociate your account from said content
- Is it possible to separate professional Stack Exchange accounts from personal ones?
- What are the possible alternatives to maintain separate accounts for the 'Workplace' and 'Personal Productivity' sites?
- Can I have accounts on different SE sites that are not linked?
I have an old account that I never use any more. My display name used to be "FirstName LastName," and I felt that the content from non-professional sites (e.g., Islam, Mi Yodeya, Workplace, Health, Politics, etc.) were best not tied to my real-world identity. A specific example of such a question that I'd be concerned about: my question discussing anarchism over on Worldbuilding.
I renamed the display name, but this has two problems:
The comments still show my old display name, so I created an entirely new anonymous account (since then, a few, which I've now linked), and I'm reluctant to link the old account. As a result, any comments or new answers I receive on the old account are effectively ignored save for the occasional check-in. This is a nuisance, and I feel bad about it, which is part of why I'm asking this question!
StackOverflow Careers runs on the idea that I can use the site as a platform to display my work, communication skills, etc. The fact that I had to anonymize all of my content to separate work and personal seems against the spirit (and business interests) of the site.
What's the recommended way to handle this? Am I missing or misunderstanding some feature of SE?