This happens to me quite a lot. At best, it's frustrating and forces me to lose time rewriting answers. At worst, I don't have time, so potentially helpful answers never get posted.
- I'm on the mobile site, happily drafting an answer.
- For whatever reason, while writing I lose my connection, but I don't notice because I'm focused on writing this answer.
- I hit "post", and my browser goes to a blank no connection error page.
- I reconnect, hit "back", get back to the post answer form, and get an empty content box. My work's been lost.
- Have the current "post answer" button as a fallback in a
- If JS is enabled, have the post answer button do the following:
- Switch to a "Working..." indicator
- Try to submit the answer via AJAX, without (yet) leaving the page
- On success, move to the success page
- On failure, display an so appropriate "Can't connect" message without leaving the page, so the user's work isn't lost, re-enabling the "Post answer" button so they can try again after fixing their connection