Most of the times, when I see a question being closed, two cases arise:
- The question was closed by Community moderator (perhaps it was a dupe).
- The question was closed by 5 VtC's, and names of the voters are displayed.
Most of the times I see this in Stack Overflow, which is the most active site in the whole ecosystem.
What I noticed is the following: There is at least one site when questions are being closed unilaterally. This means that one moderator vote made the question be closed.
I expect that action be taken, say, when a blatantly aggressive behavior from the OP is taken, say:
- Anything violating directly or indirectly the ToS or any manifestation of common sense (e.g.: direct aggression against a user or social group, SPAM, an attempt to exploit an XSS bug, ...), which will involve even harder sanctions than closure/deletion.
- A blatantly off-topic question (e.g. I go to Stack Overflow to ask about how to take care of two Trachemys Scripta turtles).
The question was not blatantly off-topic (edit although it was marked as off-topic since lately every site uses that reason as a wildcard) on the site or had any strange behavior, however was put on hold unilaterally. Regarding to me, one of my questions was closed in programmers.SE (say) for similar reasons but by five users, as most of the times occurs. And closing a question with five votes looks the usual to me. I always perceived this ecosystem was led by community, and not an administrator. This means: it was self-managed with downvotes and closures are agreed by multilateral parties.
I don't want to name the site, which had the particularly annoying case -to me-, because perhaps what I think is a wrong behavior is actually right and expected under certain conditions.
Edit This is another sample question in one SE site which:
- Follows the good subjective guidelines (mainly because it asks about facts).
- Had a lot of upvotes, meaning the users found the question useful and even the answers were considered useful.
- They are about the game industry (which is one of the topics listed as allowed in the Help Center).
- But... It was closed by a single admin vote.
So tl;dr: What bothers me is that there are cases where I see closures by just one user (the administrator) instead of community consensus. Perhaps there's a reason for me to be wrong about this concern. Question: What am I missing here?