I'm just wondering, would creating Stack Overflow Trilogy mobile applications (for iPhone, Android, etc.) be a good idea? What does the community think? Maybe, after a general API is proposed and released, the whole community could somehow get together and create such applications?
NOTE: There have been questions before that asked whether mobile apps for Stack Overflow are currently available - this is not a duplicate, they are simply related.
UPDATE: I just checked out the mobile Stack Overflow web UI, and it's spectacular! However, I still think mobile applications are a good idea. Let's say that we want to make a Stack Overflow iPhone app with the API that will be released in 6-8 weeks (of course, we'll be making it after the API is released, right?). Per one design, we could have these tabs/panes in the app:
- Me - this is where your profile info is shown, collated from all associated accounts from your login. You can see all your questions, answers, rep changes, notifications, and more for all 4 Trilogy sites. Also, we could have notifications outside of the app, based on the existing notifications architecture of Stack Overflow.
- Questions - questions are shown in a grid format (with a similar look and feel to the web Stack Overflow UI), the site you wish to see questions from can be selected through a little tabbed interface at the top (and there will also be tabs such as "Featured", "Unanswered", etc.), once you click on a question, it is displayed with all of its info & metadata and you can answer from inside a question, as well as vote, favorite, retag, etc.
- Tags - similar to the Tags interface in the web UI, but again, you can select which of the 4 sites you want to see the tags of.
- Users - see Tags explanation.
- Search - utilizes the search functions.
So, what do you think? Do you think:
- that creating mobile apps for Stack Overflow is a good idea?
- that the above design is a possible implementation?
- What other architectures do you think would be a good idea, depending on how the API is developed?