When removing things like 'thanks' and 'hello' and so-forth I have seen a specific term used to refer to these sorts of edit, but I can't recall what it is. Could people remind me of the word used for this type of edit?

  • I suppose. But I've seen another term which was just a single word. I just can't remember what it was. May 21, 2016 at 17:45
  • Honestly, I never write explanations for that type of edit...
    – Catija
    May 21, 2016 at 17:45
  • copy edited maybe? May 21, 2016 at 17:46
  • It wasn't that. It was a single word, beginning with 'c' I think. Like 'removed c******'. (Apologies for the accidental inference of a rude word here). May 21, 2016 at 17:47
  • Removed clutter.
    – M.A.R.
    May 21, 2016 at 19:10
  • You can use remove clutter too, I think. Personally I think I'll stick with chaff, though cruft was the word I remembered. You could always just go with: removed crap too, I suppose, though it might be seen as offensive to the user. May 21, 2016 at 19:12
  • 1
  • @gnat Hhhhm. Seems like a lot of effort. Maybe when I'm hopped up on ng drink or something? May 21, 2016 at 19:44
  • I use "fluff"... May 21, 2016 at 20:49

3 Answers 3


I've always said "removed cruft", but if you're looking for a single word, "concision" or "professionalism" ought to do it.

  • Cruft. That's the one I saw. Though I think 'removed chaff' would work too. 'Concision' or 'professionalism' also seem acceptable. May 21, 2016 at 17:51


a word or phrase serving as the prefatory greeting in a letter or speech, as Dear Sir in a letter or Ladies and Gentlemen in a speech.

See also: Should 'Hi', 'thanks', taglines, and salutations be removed from posts?

So, it should be "removing salutations".

  • Is 'thanks' a salutation? May 21, 2016 at 18:11
  • @Peter as far as I know, yes. But I might be wrong. Worth taking a look on English.SE site and if not asked yet, ask there. :) May 21, 2016 at 18:38
  • When my ban runs out I will. vocabulary.com/dictionary/salutation seems to be suggesting not, but there may be a way of making 'thanks' fit with this definition using some semantic trickery. It's plausible at least. May 21, 2016 at 18:46
  • 2
    @PeterDavidCarter for "thanks", etc. at the end of the post, I usually say: "removed signature"
    – muru
    May 21, 2016 at 19:24

I've been using "Blew away fluff" for a while now. Seems to do the job.

(Whether you read this as gently puffing at dandelion fluff, or ruthlessly gunning down the offending noise, is a matter of deliberate ambiguity.)

  • Am I allowed to just accept the answer that amused me most, even though another one was technically closer to what I was asking about? May 21, 2016 at 19:17
  • @PeterDavidCarter It's meta, you can kind of do what you like, although I wasn't really expecting the acceptance ;) May 21, 2016 at 19:19
  • Hmmm. I shall alternate my validation back does the validation dance and makes another little tick go green May 21, 2016 at 19:29
  • @NathanTuggy: Just so long as you mean marshmallow cream and not cute animals. May 23, 2016 at 19:55

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .