My proposal is to add the ability for Room Owners to create pingable groups within a chat room that people can register themselves against. This would allow the easy pinging/sharing of knowledge to groups of people who are interested in certain topics.
This example is taken from reality*. I've found a new ebook that I would like to share with some of the other people interested in data within the Python room. To do this I type:
@DSM @JRich @OthersThatUsePandas http://leanpub.com/effective-pandas
This pings DSM and JRichardSnape (two people I think might be interested) as well as includes
@OthersThatUsePandas in an attempt to get anyone that might be interested in the
pandas library to read the link too.
Unfortunately, this requires people to actively read the transcript (apart from DSM and JRich who have actually been pinged, obviously).
In this scenario, it would be great to have a
python-pandas group that people can say "I am a member of". When people are members of this group, pings to the group will also ping them. If this were implemented, the above scenario would simply require
and anyone interested would be pinged. Hooray!
I propose that ROs be responsible for creating the groups for their individual rooms. Groups could span a variety of topics from special-interest (
@web-dev) to random (
@cat-meme anyone?), whatever the specific room wanted/needed.
- Maybe site wide groups, such as
@data? Not sure on this one, as not sure who would be responsible for maintaining it, but thought I'd throw it out for dicussion
- Not sure on whether you should have restricted groups or not? For example groups that are invitation only? My gut feeling is to make all groups public and joinable by all.
- This would solve this suggestion made by a dashing fellow on meta.SO by allowing a
@ROgroup to be made.
- Should the normal mechanics of pinging apply? For instance, when people are inactive and are pinged, they come back to some form of message informing them of their missed pings - should this occur for group pings? (Thanks to Yannis for suggesting this point)
* Please ignore the snarky comment in the chat transcript, we love you really SE devs <3