I have questions about firearms, in particular about the functioning of a "flintlock", but really I'm a firearms fan and that takes me to many questions about all kinds of weapon styles. I also have questions about ICBM, and many more "war" related machines and apparatus. I think my questions are tecnical in nature and refer to how a machine works. So, should I ask them in engineering stack exchange?

2 Answers 2


Engineering Stack Exchange does indeed have a firearms tag. The suitability of your question really depends on what particular aspect of the weapon you're asking about. Three of the four are about the mechanisms of a firearm; the fourth is about a physical effect inside a gun. If your question is along those lines, I think Engineering would accept it.

If the question is unrelated to the engineering aspect of a firearm, I suspect it would be poorly received, and likely closed as off-topic.

There was once a Firearms Stack Exchange, four years ago, but that closed due to a lack of activity.

Space Exploration Stack Exchange also has an ICBM tag, but I'm not quite as clear how ICBMs are in scope there.


The Great Outdoors has a "guns" tag with 10 non-closed questions, covering the use of firearms.

For larger-scale weapons, though, Outdoors wouldn't seem to fit. As mentioned already, Space Exploration might fit some ICBM-related questions. It's also worth noting that questions about the physics of explosions might fit Physics.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .