The following case-study is just my opinion and not something the Beta site in question has decided upon. I want to know whether such course of action is in theory possible before presenting it to the Beta site for discussion.
I will use Health.SE as an example, but this applies to any Beta site.
Health.SE has a few problems (outlined in its respective Meta)
- A large amount of experienced users have been lost
- New users ask questions that are off-topic (25% of the new posts in a month don't belong there)
- We have two interest groups, it's like Mathematics and MathematicsEducators combined
- ... (this list goes on, but what exactly is wrong is irrelevant here)
Is it in theory
- possible to nuke the site because it's failing and has no active users
- and start again from scratch (i.e. have a new Area51 proposal, this time using the gained knowledge to improve the site and fix previous problems)
As far as I'm aware, this hasn't happened before, so we would be setting a precedent.
What are the requirements before a site could get nuked?