This question already has an answer here:
Consider the following scenario:
- User A writes a comment to User B, or answers the question of User B.
- This could ping user B, i.e. (s)he would see the comment in his inbox.
- However, User B is not logged in at the time.
- The ping is made deleted:
- the answer of User A (to User B's question) is deleted
- the comment of User A (to User B's post, or by mentioning
@UserB) is deleted
- the post which is commented by User A, is deleted (but not the comment)
- After that, User B logs in.
Will he see the ping in his/her inbox?
If User B is a 10k+ user, in theory (s)he would see User A's answer, and also his comment, if it wasn't deleted. If User B is a diamond moderator, (s)he could even see User A's deleted comment.
I think, the most logical way would be, if User B would see the ping if and only if (s)he could see the post or comment addressed to him(she). But how does it actually work?