When you have a data science-related question, there are at least seven relevant Stack Exchange sites to choose from. So how do you pick the right one?
Yes, for each question you can first ask on Meta (example: What it is the most appropriate Stack Exchange site to ask about ontologies and knowledge bases?), but that's not the best solution.
Can we create a definitive guide (think of a flowchart) that helps to choose the right SE site?
The list of relevant websites:
- Stack Overflow. Stats: 15m questions 23m answers 71% answered 7.9m users 9.6m visits/day 7.5k questions/day 9y3m site age.
- Data Science. Stats: 6.7k questions 8.2k answers 71% answered 31k users 11k visits/day 13 questions/day 3y5m site age.
- Cross Validated. Stats: 112k questions 108k answers 60% answered 138k users 111k visits/day 93 questions/day 7y3m site age.
- Artificial Intelligence. Stats: 1k questions 1.6k answers 79% answered 9.1k users 556 visits/day 3.1 questions/day 1y2m site age.
- Computer Science. Stats: 22k questions 27k answers 83% answered 62k users 13k visits/day 21 questions/day 5y7m site age.
- Theoretical Computer Science. Stats: 9k questions 13k answers 76% answered 31k users 1.9k visits/day 3.8 questions/day 7y2m site age.
- Computational Science. Stats: 6.7k questions 9.1k answers 78% answered 18k users 2.9k visits/day 3.8 questions/day 5y11m site age.
I assume that ideally we want to have only one correct website per question. All the questions asked on the incorrect websites should be closed/migrated to the correct ones. Otherwise we'll have confusion, duplicate questions and scattered user base. I think that a definitive guide would help both for asking new questions and for migrating the old ones.
- Difference between the Cross Validated and Data Science SE sites?, but the current question is about all 7 websites.
- Which Stack Exchange website for machine learning and computational algorithms?, but my question is not limited to machine learning algorithms, and is about any Data Science-related topic.
- Which computer science / programming Stack Exchange do I post in? (a great answer, but doesn't cover all the 7 sites mentioned here).