Catija convinced me: dumb idea. Thanks for putting me straight!
So this question is not about: not finding a solution, being exasperated, posting a question and a few minutes or hours later finding a solution and answering, but it's all about:
- Having an issue
- Looking into it
- Talking to people in chat, not getting any solution from the resident expert
- Continuing on the road of blood, sweat and tears and finally finding a solution!
- Someone telling you "You should write a Q&A about that!"
Actually writing the question and ticking the box:
"Answer your own question - share your knowledge, Q&A-style"
So can we have these kinds of Q&As auto-accepted, please?
- Answers posted at the same time as their questions have an answer that has been verified to work.
- It's easy to change the acceptance if someone else would come along and writes an awesome answer as the OP gets pinged when a new answer to his question gets posted.
- I'm too busy at work during the day and too busy at night answering questions to actually remember and go back and accept my own answer. (I found one about a year ago that I forgot to accept for a few weeks or months or so)
- Jeff Atwood wrote the original in 2008 and partially relented in 2009. Wouldn't it make sense to review this again nearly a decade later??? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
OK, I'll settle for the system pinging me you to tell me "Hey, go back and accept your own answer, the 48h waiting period is over and no one else has answered in the meantime!"