Here are a few thoughts of mine about the new sidebar appearing on SO:
- There's "Home", then there's "Stack Overflow", but the latter doesn't take you to the homepage. It instead takes you to
/questions. Why isn't it just called "All Questions" then?
- What is the globe icon next to "Stack Overflow" supposed to represent? None of the other items have an icon.
- Why separate some items under "PUBLIC"? Is "Home" not public? Isn't this confusing for new visitors to the site who expect it all to be a public forum anyway?
- Why do I have to dig deep into settings to hide the sidebar? Can there not be a simple arrow button?
Forgive me if some of these concerns have been asked/answered elsewhere.
EDIT: As suggested by Catija I have now made a post on some changes I would like to see made to simplify the left nav for non-Teams users on the live left nav discussion here.
EDIT 2: Many posts arose on MSO regarding the same points I have raised here:
- Why does stackoverflow.com label the questions link "Stack Overflow" and not "Questions" like all the other SE sites?
- Change the title of the sidebar option for /questions to Questions (as on MSE and MSO)
- Change the icon and improve the new left nav
- What is the icon on the new left nav?
- Why does the Stack Overflow menu say "PUBLIC?