I was auto-logged out from the chat.stackexchange.com server. And I couldn't log back in! I reproduced this issue both on Chrome 67 and on Firefox 61, both with regular tabs and Private / Incognito tabs. My OS is macOS 10.13.5.
What I tried:
- on chat.stackexchange.com, click the 'login' button (top right, next to the search box).
- click the log in with Stack Exchange button.
- fill in my Stack Exchange login credentials.
I'm redirected to
https://stackoverflow.com/users/login?teamsMember=1, a page that tells me with a red box that I need to log in directly, since I'm a team member:
- Fill in my credentials again. Now I'm logged in to Stack Overflow.
- Return to chat.stackexchange.com, confirm I am not logged in there.
Try the same flow again. Log in link, use log in with Stack Exchange, fill in credentials. Now I am taken to a page on Stack Overflow that states I am logged in, and asks me to add another way to log in?
So the log in flow wants me to log in on Stack Overflow, and that log in is never reflected back to Stack Exchange. I can't log in on
https://stackexchange.com either. On step 3 I can also use my OpenID URL (which is backed by the Stack Exchange OpenID service for now until I can figure out how to rescue my SEDE account queries) but this has the exact same result.
The work-around is to log into https://meta.stackexchange.com (or any one of the other
*.stackexchange.com sites, such as https://codereview.stackexchang.com), then suddenly chat has me logged in as well, and https://stackexchange.com acknowledges my account exists too.