I'd like to see the SE term "unupvote" be changed to an actual word. This may seem like petty pedantry, but I thought we were a little different to other Q&A sites?. Let's at least make things make sense.

Some suggestions:

  • undo
  • un-upvote
  • upvote undo
  • 6
    Undo is already a user so we can't use that...
    – rene
    Feb 23, 2019 at 19:20
  • 2
    @rene But my suggestion is not capitalized...
    – Lordology
    Feb 23, 2019 at 19:27
  • 6
    Sorry, but why exactly does "un-upvote" make sense but the non(-)hyphenated version doesn't? What am I missing?
    – M.A.R.
    Feb 23, 2019 at 19:36

1 Answer 1


There no reason to change this in my opinion. The word "unupvote" is fine and this is very minor.

I have never used the other words suggested.

but I thought we were a little different to other Q&A sites?

That is in the way we function and how we give feedback by voting and reviewing, not by using complicated English. We’re the same in using words people commonly use and understand.

  • undo
  • A user as pointed out

  • Not clear, undo what?

  • un-upvote
  • Longer to type (by a bit)

  • Does a hyphen make a difference?

  • upvote undo
  • Unnecessary wording, "unupvote" is fine.
  • What do you mean by "We’re the same in..." E.g., same as what? What are you trying to say in that paragraph? Perhaps rephrase it? Feb 23, 2019 at 22:30
  • 4
    Upvoting undo for posts he didn't post seems like a bug
    – Journeyman Geek Mod
    Feb 24, 2019 at 2:04

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .