When reviewing suggested edits, it often happens that I'd like to say something to the edit suggester, but I can't. The ability to reply to them would be a way to solve edit problems much more amicably, rather than rejecting possibly approvable edits without giving them a reason.
Commenting on unrelated posts is clearly not okay. Rejecting the edit with a custom "causes harm" reasoning is also not a good solution, because:
- This doesn't notify the edit suggester; they would need to dig out the review for that, which rarely happens.
- It can only happen when rejecting the suggestion, which is often not my intent.
- past approved and binding editors of posts are already reply-able1,
- there is already an ongoing feature request to allow replying to rejected editors in comments
- it's possible for users with pending edit suggestions to edit their edit proposals, so that those edits are also incorporated into the same review (i.e. an unlimited grace period while the edit is still pending)
- the "Improve Edit" option may not be the right option, as the reviewer may not be entirely aware of what the edit proposer is on to in some cases, or they may need further clarification of the edit before making a decision
I am asking to allow @reply-ing to users who have a pending suggested edit on the post.
Note, this does not mean the overloading of their inbox - they won't be notified of all comments, only ones that @-mention their name. Only the post owner would get a notification from all the comments on their post, as normal.
1As @Glorfindel mentions, they are already pingable. But pending and rejected suggested editors are still not.