What if we had some sort of warning that users' questions seem off-topic, especially on MSE? It seems to me that a large majority of the blatantly off-topic questions here should be on Stack Overflow. It could work like this:
- It's got a list of keywords, sort of like Smoke Detector but for programming.
- Maybe programming language names and terms, such as "Ruby" and "Python" and "if statement".
- It looks for if there are large codeblocks with a lot of what appears to be syntax.
- It disables if the user has more than 10 reputation or so on Meta.
- It runs when the "Post Your Question" button is pressed.
- If the keyword condition or the codeblock condition is met and it is enabled, it displays some sort of thing like a box popping out of the posting button that has a message like "Are you sure this question is on-topic? This appears to be about programming. For questions about programming, go to Stack Overflow".
Ironic how it would trigger on this post if I had less reputation...