In the FAQ there is a line stating that it moderators who "nearly won" elections can be added:
In some cases, election runner-ups may later be called in to meet additional demand.
Also, there were multiple precedents of "calling up" on Stack Overflow (search for line "called up after the election to meet additional demand). Also, on Portuguese Stack Overflow 4 candidates were elected despite 3 slots. Maybe there were other cases, but I don't know them.
It's not clear for me
- Who has permission to "call up"?
- What is the procedure of "calling up"?
- If most of the moderators think that they can "call up" somebody, who should they contact to do it?
- Can a "call up" be initiated via post with a large number of upvotes on the local meta site?
If it's CM decision then
- Can little margin in votes between last winner and runner-up be a reason to do so?
- Can personal sympathy for a candidate(s) be a reason to do so?
- Can CM pick not the most voted candidates?
- Can CM ignore moderators' opinions?
- Other guidelines when CM should/shouldn't do it?
(These questions about CM motivation are added because the community manager asked me about it.)