In a community-wiki answer which I edited recently, I added one hyperlink, added one comma and removed another. From that time, I’ve been reported as the main contributor to the answer, although the changes I made were pretty small.

community wiki
2 revs, 2 users 56%

I find this devaluing the original author’s contribution

The page Edit community wiki in the Help Center says:

community wiki posts show the editor with the highest percentage of the remaining post in the current version in the author field.

And the accepted answer to What does the % in the Community Wiki box mean? says:

It's not the last editor, it's the most prolific editor, based on a very naive calculation involving lines of the post that were changed.

So I am called “the most prolific editor” because I edited something (although a little bit) in all paragraphs? Are the changed lines interpreted as lines of code, ending with the newline character (paragraphs in fact), and not the lines displayed in browser?

One more thing, the page says 2 users 56%. Where are the remaining 44%? Only two users have been involved in the post’s history, so I’d expect their contribution to be 100%.


1 Answer 1


The accepted answer in the linked question is correct, I'll re-post the relevant part:

based on a very naive calculation

This means the calculation is super simple: if the post has 9 lines, and you changed 5 lines, that's 56% change.

The 56% is the amount of changes the visible editor has made, not the sum of all changes.

Here's an example where a user added four periods to a Community Wiki answer and now supposedly owns 67% of the post.

  • I am sorry, still not clear. Why are those edited 56% shown together with 2 users which have contributed 100% in fact? And where do you find the post is 9 lines long? I have only found 5 newlines (line breaks), it could be 6 when counting the end of the post.
    – Melebius
    Commented Jul 17, 2019 at 8:27
  • 1
    @Melebius The "2 users" mean two users, overall, took part in writing the post, and the percentage shown is the percentage of change done by the "top" editor. As for 9 lines it was just a guess since 5/9 is 56% that fits what you see. Maybe it considers any markdown element as "line", I'm not sure about this part. Commented Jul 17, 2019 at 8:35
  • 1
    @JL2210 umm.. no. Sorry, thought you want to link to it or something like that. You can suggest that edit to my answer under the sandbox, which is already CW. I don't mind the rep loss, but ordinary posts should not be used for testing. Commented Jul 17, 2019 at 15:40

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .