However, there doesn't seem to be a uniform way in which SE handles their domains. Examples below.
Some of these domains currently redirect to their respective contest sites, though almost all the redirects are broken. The SSL errors are probably broken by SE's switch to HTTPS.
- http://hatdash.com [SSL error] for HatDash is live!
- http://thenewipadishere.com [redirect broken] for The new iPad is here - ask different and win one!
- http://answerama.com [redirect broken] for Answerama, the Futurama mini-site, is live!
- http://answerswarm.com [SSL error] for AnswerSwarm
- http://me3missions.com [redirect broken] for Mass Effect 3 Missions
- http://mountainlionchallenge.com [redirect broken] for Mountain Lion Challenge - ask, answer, blog and win Apple products!
- http://skyrimvsmw3.com [redirect broken] for Skyrim vs MW3
- http://stackshowdown.com [redirect broken] for Avengers vs. X-Men SciFi Event!
- http://win8challenge.com [redirect broken] for The Windows 8 Challenge has ended, thank you for blogging!
Some of these domains were not renewed and no longer owned by SE (!!!)
Some domains don't seem to have been used before but are randomly redirected to the contest main page (which is perfectly alright but I'd just want to point out).
Of course, this list isn't exhaustive and I've missed out some.
- How does SE manage these special one-time-use event domains?
- bug Can the broken redirects be pointed to the correct sites?
- How does SE decide which of these domains to renew? Did SE purposefully let the expired domains lapse or ...?